Water Districts & Systems
The Town of Barnstable has five Water Districts.
Public water is provided to distinct fire districts in the town of Barnstable for fire protection. Drinking water is the secondary benefit.
All fire districts have separate municipal departments and they pretty much run like businesses. Citizens of Barnstable pay different amounts for water than other citizens, based on the fire/water district in which they live.
There’s the Barnstable Fire District, the Centerville, Osterville and Marstons Mills (C.O.MM) Fire District, and Cotuit Fire District. West Barnstable maintains its own fire district, but they don’t provide their own water as the other districts that maintain a fire arm. The Hyannis Fire District gets its water from the Hyannis Water Supply Division, an enterprise fund in the Town of Barnstable, and really is only a fire department.
In West Barnstable, private wells provide water to homes and businesses.
PFAS & PFOA Resources
- Green Science Policy Institute’s list of PFAS free products
- Cancer Free Economy Network Tips for Consumers (consumer products and drinking water)
- Clearya (chrome extension, not specific to PFAS, but does include PFAS and is very consumer-oriented)
Notices & Updates
Barnstable Water Districts
- Hyannis Water Supply
- Barnstable Fire/Water District
- Centerville-Osterville-Marstons Mills C.O.MM Water Department
- Cotuit Water District
FINAL REPORT – PFAS in Barnstable Waters Sept 2021
The Distribution and Composition of PFAS in Select Water Supply Wells and Surface Waters of Barnstable, MA | Hydrogeological Tech Report #1
Glossary of Terms