PHASE I SEWER EXPANSION PROJECT
The 30-year plan is comprised of three 10-year phases, predominantly focused on sewer expansion. Each phase consists of multiple individual projects that will proceed through permitting.
The plan is designed to reduce nutrient pollution in embayments to a level consistent with regulatory thresholds know as Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDLs).
The first phase of sewering will occur in the village of Centerville. The new gravity sewer will be installed in portions of Craigville Beach Road, Strawberry Hill Road, Wequaquet Lane and Phinney’s Lane (see Figure 1). Construction will begin September 2021 and extend through the Spring of 2023.
The project is being coordinated with the Vineyard Wind 1 Project. Coordination of the two projects will reduce construction-related disruption to local roads and neighborhoods, and save taxpayer dollars. In 2018, the Town of Barnstable and Vineyard Wind entered into a Host Community Agreement
that allows Vineyard Wind to:
- “land” electric cables to at Covell’s Beach
- install electric duct banks in Town Roads from Covell’s Beach to a new substation in Independence Park
In return, Vineyard Wind agrees to:
- Make cash payments to the Town ($16M over 25 years, plus an additional $60,000 for each year the project is in operation beyond 25 years)
- Resurface all impacted roadways
- Resurface Covell’s Beach parking lot
- Make $80K payment for repairs to Covell’s Beach bath house
- Construction of the Strawberry Hill Sewer Expansion Project will begin September 2021 and extend through the Spring of 2023. CC Construction is the Town’s Contractor for this work.
- All construction work will be coordinated with the Vineyard Wind 1 Project (Lawrence Lynch Contractor) to minimize disruptions on local roads and neighborhoods.
- Work will be underway at multiple locations throughout the construction period. Work by Vineyard Wind’s contractor will begin at Independence Park. Work by the Town’s contractor will begin near the pump station site at Craigville Beach Road
and work north toward Pine Street and west towards Covell’s Beach.
- Work within roadways will be restricted between Memorial Day and Labor Day,
unless otherwise approved; and work hours are Monday – Friday from 7 AM to 3:30 PM, unless otherwise approved
A recorded slide presentation with additional detail on construction is available here [Coming Soon].
Quick Facts about the Strawberry Hill Sewer Expansion Project:
- 326 equivalent dwelling units (243 properties) will be connected to sewer service along this route. Visit [link] to see if your property is among the properties to be connected by this project or other Phase 1 project.
- 19,150 linear feet of gravity sewer line will be installed along the route (shown in yellow line on Figure 1).
- 6,300 linear feet of sewer force main will be installed from xx to yy (shown in red line on Figure 1).
- 3,500 linear feet of Hyannis Water main will be replaced from xx to yy (shown in as the blue line on Figure 1).
- A new pump station will be installed at 528 Craigville Beach Road. Figure 2 provides an example of what this pump station will look like [use picture from Griffin’s slide show].
- The as bid cost of the Strawberry Hill Road Sewer Expansion Project is $11,710,006.49:
– Sewer: $10,121,521.99
– Water: $1,128,614.50
– Pump Station: $459,870.00
The project is eligible for low interest loans and potential principal forgiveness through the State Revolving Fund, as well as a 25% subsidy through the Cape Cod and Islands Water Protection Fund. For more information on the Town’s CWMP financial plan, please visit [link]
CONSTRUCTION THIS WEEK
Strawberry Hill Road Sewer Expansion Project Construction Schedule – Weekly Update
The Strawberry Hill Road Sewer Expansion Project is ongoing with construction schedule update as outlined below.
Week of 09-13-2021 to 09-17-2021
- Test pit excavations at select locations along the project route.
- Tree pruning on Craigville Beach Road and Strawberry Hill Road up to Pine Street.
- Clearing of pump station site for equipment storage.
Week of 09-20-2021 to 09-24-2021
- Sewer installation on Strawberry Hill Road from Craigville Beach Road north towards Pine Street.
- Road closure and detour will be in place, with local traffic access only.
As always, please slow down and use extreme caution when traveling through the road construction areas, and follow posted safety and detour signs.
If you have any questions or wish to receive project updates, please contact Paul Ruszala, P.E., Senior Project Manager, at the Department of Public Works at 508-790-6400 or email@example.com.
Sign up for Enews, our community current newsletter: https://barnstablewaterresources.com/news-updates/
COMING SOON: HOMEOWNER GUIDE TO SEWER CONNECTION
CWMP News Updates
The Strawberry Hill Road Sewer Expansion Project is ongoing with construction schedule update as outlined below. Week of 09-27-2021 to 10-01-2021 Sewer installation on Strawberry Hill Road from Craigville Beach Road north towards Pine Street. Road closure and detour...
A group of officials led by Congressman William Keating (MA-9) and State Senator Julian Cyr (Cape & Islands) met in Hyannis this morning at a groundbreaking event for the Strawberry Hill Road Sewer Expansion Project. The project is the first major sewer expansion...